Companies are excited when hiring new employees and hold extravagant events to welcome new joinees. Frankly, no one even minds welcoming new joiners or even celebrating that, but why do that only when someone’s going to join your company? Well, because first impressions matter and from a general perspective, last impressions don’t matter as much. A study claims to have found that 29% of organizations hold exit interviews or proper off-boarding processes.
Designing a smooth exit process can help you in the future to even retain or build new networks and contacts. This can prove to be good for your career or your company. Whether it’s a voluntary resignation or a layoff, it’s commonly noted that off-boarding processes like exit interviews mostly go ignored.
Some think of exit processes as a waste of effort on people who already are leaving, but there’s more harm than comfort in that thought. Not going into the details of the reasons for which an employee is leaving, and their feedback on it can massively backfire in the form of violation of government norms, loss of business, market reputation and whatnot.
Here are tips on how to create a smooth exit process:
1. First Things First
If the employee is leaving against their will, make sure you have a formal and official hard-copy of their resignation. In case the employee is being terminated, provide a termination form for them to fill.
Inform The Team & Clients
If you don’t inform the employees’ team about them leaving, the almighty gossip will, and you definitely don’t want that to happen. One of you might get a bad image, so make sure that you pass on the news diplomatically and neutrally. If the employee was handling any clients, decide on when and how to inform the clients.
2. Final Documentation
- Non-disclosure agreements that are signed during on-boarding should be reviewed again in the presence of the employee during the time of their leaving.
- Benefits documents and tax documents are time consuming and crucial for the employee and company both. The employee leaving should be handed these documents ideally on or before their last working day.
- The final payroll must also be reviewed with the employee to avoid any last-minute payment disputes.
- Prepare a testimonial. Please don’t wait for your employees to ask for their testimony. In the era of company review sites like Glassdoor and PayScale, it’s best to play it safe and end the relationship on the most positive note possible.
3. The Handover
The responsibilities of the employee are to be considered, and the factors surrounding the same and should be initiated at once. Here are the essential things to cover:
- Will the replacement need to be trained by the leaving employee?
- When and where will the replacement take over? (Precise location and date)
- Wind up any pending or ongoing tasks that will be hard to finish when they leave
4. Exit Interview
Anything that the employee has to say, they must be given that chance and a fair one at that. Listen deeply to what they’re saying and pay attention to what they mean and are trying to point out. An employee who’s about to leave will most likely not hold anything back. This will be quite beneficial for you since all this criticism has the potential to become constructive.
Most importantly, don’t feel bad or personally attacked if they start criticizing the nuances of the company. In all probability, they’ll respond to courteous treatment and have a civil approach to discuss even the bad things about the company.
Last but not least, arrange a spectacular event for the teams and employees to indulge in and celebrate the departing members’ tenure. As we started, there needs to be an acknowledgment from the organization whether a member is departing or joining in dealing with it healthily. As long as employees are treated with respect and decency, there will be no bitterness, whatever may be the reason for them leaving.
Use AI to find Jobs & Candidates Faster
Hate spam & fake jobs? We do too. That’s why we built an AI-powered platform for job-seekers to apply to only those jobs that match their profile. Do you know that more than often, many applications don’t even reach the recruiters? So we make it easy for recruiters too, by automating their everyday tasks. Already being used by more than 20K+ Top Recruiters & 40k+ Quality Candidates, it’s time you Try Vasitum too! ?♀️