The Indian Administrative Service (IAS) is the administrative arm of the All India Services and considered the premier civil service of India. The IAS is one of the three arms of the All India Services along with the Indian Police Service (IPS) and the Indian Forest Service (IFS).
Candidates can enter the IAS by passing the Civil Services Examination, which is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). The examinations for the year 2020 will be conducted in May.
We have added a list of reference materials such as books, courses, etc. at the end of this article to help aspirants and beginners. The eligibility criteria for the examination, application, and selection process are mentioned below.
Know the Eligibility Criteria:
The entrance exam by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) 2020 as usual will be held in three phases:
- The entrance exam for the IAS is called the Civil Service Preliminary Exams, or simply prelims. This is the qualifying exam for the mains exam (Civil Services Main Exam).
- After clearing the Prelims, candidates are eligible to appear in the Mains written exams.
- After clearing the Mains, candidates are eligible to face the personality test (interview).
Candidates should have passed Graduation Degree from a recognised university/college (Incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be a Deemed University under the UGC Act, 1956, or an equivalent qualification.)
21 years (min) and 32 years (max) as on 01-08-2020. Age relaxation is as follows:
General/OBC candidates have to pay Rs. 100 through online mode using Net-banking/Credit or Debit Card. SC/ST/PH/Female candidates don’t have to pay any fee.
Interested and eligible candidates may apply online through the UPSC website.
Starting Date of Online Application: 12-02-2020
Last Date of Online Application:03-03-2020
How to Prepare UPSC Prelims 2020:
With less than 100 days left for the prelim exams, there are topics aspirants must cover, so here’s presenting our Prelim preparation strategy:
- Current Affairs are a very important part of UPSC Prelims, candidates should ideally commit the first 15-20 days for gathering recent events. Aspirants should be well versed with current affairs and have the updated information on relevant incidents on a regular basis.
Reliable sources for current affairs preparation for IAS exam 2020 are:
- Yojana Magazine
- Newspapers (The Hindu/The Indian Express)
- Press Information Bureau (PIB)
- Economic and Political Weekly (EPW)
- Days 80 to 100 should be dedicated to mock and practice tests from various sources to help time management during the exam. Mock exams will lay out a good idea of how much time you need to spend
- Since the syllabus of he 2020 IAS prelims and mains are overlapping, it’s sensible to prepare for both simultaneously from day number 20 to 80. You can see the official syllabus here, and the BYJU’S iteration of the syllabus, important modules, and mock test strategies here
Here are some resources and reference materials that may assist aspirants in preparing thoroughly and deeply to improve chances of a high score:
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations by M. Laxmikanth (Polity)
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania. (Culture)
- Oxford School Atlas by Oxford Publishers. (Geography)
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography by Goh Cheng Leong. (Geography)
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh. (Economy)
- Economic Survey by the Ministry of Finance. (Economy)
- India Year Book (Current Affairs)
- A Brief History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir (Modern India)
- General Studies Paper 2 Manual by MHE (CSAT)
- NCERT Books
- Concise History of Modern India by Sujata Menon (Modern India)
- Mock papers
Don’t Let Quarantine Stop You From Finding Jobs & Candidates
Go remote and find jobs most suited to your skills with our AI-Powered Career Platform, Vasitum. We make it easy for recruiters too by transforming their complete recruitment process digitally. Already being trusted by more than 20K+ Top Recruiters & 40k+ Candidates, it’s time you Try Vasitum and go remote.